Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Kawaii Culture and Lifestyle in LA - Part 1 - Little Tokyo

Hello friends! Mochi here~ One thing I've always wished for when traveling to a new place is a list of places I can stuff my belly and spend my money that fit my personal aesthetic. Since it's been a bit difficult for me to find something like that in my area/areas, I've decided to put together a few lists of my own!

My current place of residence is Los Angeles, California. LA is actually quite an eclectic place. Each city/neighborhood has its own personality, and plenty of kawaii bits are sprinkled in everywhere.

Probably the most commonly known spot for kawaii fun in LA is Little Tokyo. It's a sweet little block filled with Japanese stores and restaurants. I highly recommend taking public transit to get here, namely the train. While public transit in LA can be a little sketchy at times, it sure beats trying to find parking in the downtown area!

There are a few spots in Little Tokyo that I would like to highlight, as follows:

Make Asobi
130 Japanese Village Plaza Mall,
Los Angeles, CA 90012



Make Asobi is a Japanese cosmetics shop that focuses on skincare and haircare products. I've come here pretty regularly myself, as their prices are pretty good considering their products. Face masks are usually around $1.50 and come in a wide variety. I recommend aloe masks during the winter time or whenever dry skin is haunting you. I usually put one on before bed and keep it on overnight. My skin is always soft and fresh in the morning!

Make Asobi also sells tsubaki oil products for hair. Tsubaki oil is a pretty common beauty product in Japan, but is much harder to find here. If you're looking to get your hands on some tsubaki oil, Make Asobi is your place!

Another product I highly recommend is Cure Aqua Gel. It's a bit pricy- it'll run you around $40 a bottle- but it's amazing. It's gentle yet strips dead skin off to reveal soft, bright skin underneath. It's also good for anyone who suffers from clogged pores or acne. I have very sensitive skin but have never had a problem with Cure Aqua Gel. If you've got the cash, pick some up on your visit!

Tokyo Japanese Outlet

114 Japanese Village Plz Mall

Los AngelesCA 90012



Tokyo Japanese Outlet is probably one of the more mainstream shops in Little Tokyo, but it also fits the kawaii aesthetic the best out of all of them. It's a great spot for all things Rilakkuma and San-X. It also carries some Pusheen items and anime merch. It's mostly an array of useless plushies, keychains and stationary, but if that's your thing then this is your place!

Nijiya Market

124 Japanese Village Plz Mall

Los AngelesCA 90012




Nijiya Market is a small little place between Make Asobi and Tokyo Japanese Outlet. It's a good spot for kawaii snacks like Pocky, mochi ice cream and other various sweets and drinks. Good news for vegans- Nijiya Market carries coconut milk mochi ice cream! It's both vegan and gluten-free, so it's great for those of you on restricted diets like myself!


Kinokuniya Bookstore
123 Astronaut E Onizuka St
Los Angeles, CA 90012



Kinokuniya is a manga-lover's heaven! It's packed with both English, Japanese, and even Chinese manga! Kinokuniya also carries a wide variety of magazines that focus on Kawaii fashion, such as Popteen, Larme, Kera and Gothic and Lolita Bible!
On top of this, Kinokuniya also sells super cute San-X stationary and plushies! It's a great spot for school supplies. However, Kinokuniya does tend to be a bit on the expenxive side, as most Little Tokyo shops are. If you come here, expect to pay a little more than average!


This ends my Little Tokyo highlights, but my next post will be all about less obvious kawaii lifestyle spots in cities around the Los Angeles area. Little Tokyo is easily the biggest hub of kawaii spots in LA, but there are still tons of hidden gems in the surrounding areas!

What are your favorite Little Tokyo spots? Anything you think I should review/add to this list? Let me know in the comments~!




No comments:

Post a Comment