Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Being Tall in Kawaii Fashion


Kawaii fashion isn't exactly the kindest to us tall girls. The very essence of "kawaii" is to look childish and sweet. Being tall doesn't exactly lend itself to looking childish. I'm 5'9" and I've struggled with accepting my height for quite a while now. I'm not fat, but my bone structure makes sure that nothing less than a size L will fit me. This is even harder when trying to find kawaii clothing, as most kawaii clothing is made for Asian girls who are genetically smaller than Western girls.

I often hear people smaller than me say, "it's okay, I'll wear it when I lose weight" when something doesn't fit them. Unfortunately for me, I can't say that. No matter how much weight I lose, my rib cage is a solid 80 cm and my shoulders are 40 cm. My bones are already sticking out in those places, so if anything I'll just get bigger. One of my favorite websites is Aliexpress, as you can find a lot of kawaii things for cheap there. While it might have been good for me when I was younger, most of the things I buy from there are just too dang small.

For a while I felt quite sad over this and began to hate my height. Could I really fit my aesthetic being taller than most of the guys I know?

The answer is simple.

Yes.

While my height and bone structure do pose a challenge when it comes to finding clothes, it doesn't at all affect my kawaii potential. If anything, being a tall kawaii girl will make you even cooler. Yep, that's right. Being a plus size is kawaii fashion is often seen as inspiring, and being a tall kawaii girl can be the same thing. Sure, it's probably going to cost you more for clothing and you won't have quite as wide a variety of things to wear. But in a way, it makes hunting for clothes even more fun. It becomes a challenge. If you can just buy clothes and fit them willy nilly, it's not going to be quite as exciting as if you really have to work to find the perfect sweater or a pastel skirt that covers your butt. As a tall kawaii girl, your hunt is harder, but far more rewarding. Imagine the feeling of finding the perfect outfit after months of searching for all the pieces. Imagine the inspiration other tall girls will feel when they see how you've accomplished your goal. Imagine the admiration from your friends when they see you've coordinated your perfect outfit.

Being a tall kawaii girl isn't easy, but it makes you so much more impressive. In fact, most of the girls you consider having a "perfect height" will be thinking the same about you. Confidence is beautiful, so embrace your tall kawaii self and show the world who you are!

When it comes to being a tall girl in kawaii fashion, it's very important to know your measurements. Always compare your measurements to a clothing size before buying it. Large, medium and small don't mean anything. If you don't know your measurements and need to find them, check out this wikihow page.

There aren't too many obvious options for kawaii tall girls, and most things your size will require a bit of searching to find. Despite this, I'd like to highlight a few options I think are useful.


Omocat

Omocat sizes run fairly large, and the T-Shirts tend to be long. I ordered a tamagotchi sweatshirt in large from her, and it turned out to be way bigger than I had expected! Nevertheless, I love it so much and am quite happy about it being big on me. It's so cozy and cute!

Omocat's sweatshirts are generally $50, and her shirts are usually $30. A bit more expensive than your local Old Navy, but worth the price and you're supporting an artist rather than a major company!

Oo Jia

Oo Jia is a replica maker located in China. She's known for her custom Angelic Pretty replicas. There is a lot of controversy over Oo Jia, as she copies prints from big brands. Big brand sizes are made for small Japanese girls, so it's rare to find brand prints in a size that fits. Oo Jia will custom make OP dresses for $110, and the price includes shipping. It seems like a lot, but for a custom dress it's an amazing price!

I think ordering from Oo Jia is largely a conscience matter. I personally do not mind, as I do buy from brands in areas where I can. If brands made clothes in my size, I would likely save to buy from them. But since they don't, replicas are my only choice at the moment. I do often buy brand accessories, however. On the other hand, Oo Jia replicas use brand names and prints. Some may feel that this is against their favorite brand, and continue to support the designers where they can and opt out of dresses altogether.

The link goes to Oo Jia's facebook page. If you're interested in a replica, email her and ask for a list of what she can make and her prices. She is often slow to respond, but there are many positive reviews about her replicas online.

My-Lolita-Dress

If replicas are out of the question for you, My-Lolita-Dress carries many off brand dresses that can also be custom made. It's generally a bit more expensive than an Oo Jia replica, and My-Lolita-Dress still sells some replicas. However, most replicas on My-Lolita-Dress will not fit tall girls anyway. Oftentimes the same dresses shown here are available on Taobao, but if you're only buying one dress going through an agent will likely cost about the same as going through My-Lolita-Dress. However, if you plan to buy more than one, using a Taobao agent might be your cheaper bet.



Are you a tall kawaii girl? If so, do you have any recommendations for the shop list? Let me know in the comments~!

2 comments:

  1. Well yeah im a kawaii tall girl im 5 11 I think hehe I want some kawaii clothes but dont know where to buy it from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you this was super encouraging, needed that! and your blog is so cute! uwu <3

    ReplyDelete